The contract period for tenured, tenure-track, and teaching faculty runs from the date of the annual
Faculty Conference to the date of spring Commencement for each academic year. The duration of this
period is 37 weeks, 5 days per week. This period includes paid holiday days and Spring break, but does
not include 5 days of Winter Research, which happens during the winter break as indicated on the
Academic Affairs calendar.

Academic year salary is generally paid to faculty members in nine equal installments on the last business
day of each month from September through May. The days worked during August are paid at the end of
May. Faculty members hired mid-year (e.g., start of the Spring semester) shall receive pay equal to the
remaining regular monthly installments available to faculty who started at the beginning of the academic
year. For example, faculty starting at the beginning of the Spring semester shall receive the five equal
installments on the last day of each month from January through May that they would have received had
they started at the beginning of the academic year. If the faculty member starts on a day-of-the-month
other than the first working day of the month, payment for the first month is prorated by the number of
working days missed during that month. Faculty may request to receive their academic year salary in
twelve equal installments. To do so, a deferred pay agreement must be completed in the Human
Resources office prior to the first day of work in the Fall semester and is irrevocable for the academic
year to which it applies.

In the event a faculty member retires or resigns prior to the end of the academic year, salary will be
earned in proportion to the fraction of the academic year in which services were actually rendered. The
salary amount per day is calculated by multiplying the Academic Year Salary amount at 100% effort by
0.00541 and by the number of days between the first day of work and last day of work, including paid
holiday days, but not including 5 days of Winter Research if the period worked includes the academic
winter break.

For faculty performing research during the Winter Research period or during the Summer, the maximum
amount paid per day equals the Academic Year Salary amount at 100% effort multiplied by 0.00541.
Total salary is the per day amount multiplied by the days worked.

A summary of pay calculations is provided below:

Academic Year:
Maximum 37 weeks = 185 days
Salary at 100% effort / 185 days = 0.00541 of Salary at 100% effort
X_number_of_days * 0.00541* Salary_at_100%_effort = TOTAL_ACADEMIC_YEAR_PAY

Winter Research:
Maximum of 1 week = 5 days
Salary_at_100%_effort * 0.00541 *Nnumber_of_days_worked = TOTAL_WINTER_RESEARCH_PAY

Summer Research:
Maximum of 14 weeks = 70 days
Salary_at_100%_effort * 0.00541 * Number_of_days_worked = TOTAL_SUMMER_PAY
Includes paid holiday days


Last Revision:

April 3, 2017



Governing Policies:

Section 6, Faculty Handbook – Performance of External Work and Professional Activities
Section 6.4.3, Faculty Handbook – Procedure for Obtaining Approval of Additional Work


There are three types of additional work request forms:

Request to Engage in Professional Consulting Form (Handbook section 6.4.1 A);
Request to Engage in Nonprofessional, External Commitment Form (Handbook sections 6.4.1 B
and 6.4.1 C); and
Request to Perform Extra CSM Services for Additional Remuneration Form (Handbook section
6.4.1 D).

These forms correspond to the type of additional work being sought as defined in the Faculty Handbook. These are
available on the Academic Affairs web site at:
The approval process for additional work is defined in the Faculty Handbook, section 6.4.3. Following
this process, the completed form, signed by the employee and his or her Department Head/Division
Director, signifying departmental approval, should be forwarded to the Associate Provost for review, and
approval if required by the Handbook. Approval for work that has already begun, or that has completed,
will not be provided. The Office of Academic Affairs must receive the request for approval in sufficient
time that a denial of the request will not put an undue burden on either the faculty member or the entity
for whom the work will be done. Faculty members are encouraged to request approval for all additional
activity a full semester in advance. Academic Affairs will distribute final executed copies of the
approved requests to both the Department and the faculty member.

If payment from CSM is due to the employee after completion of the work, the employee should
complete an Additional Payment Request Form, which is available at the link above. This form is to be
submitted to initiate payment by CSM for additional work when an individual is already an employee of
the school. After the work is completed, the employee should fill out this form, obtain the appropriate
fund manager’s signature and submit it to the Human Resources Office for processing.

Last Revision:

March 3, 2015



Governing Policies:

Fiscal Policies -
Educational Business Activities Policy -


At Mines, faculty often have access to and responsibility for administering School funds. These funds
can advance the research and instruction mission of the School, fulfill the School’s public service
mission, or promote the professional development of faculty by advancing his/her instructional, scholarly
and professional service achievements to better serve students and the community at large.

Fund Types, Sources and Administration:
Professional Development Fund - A Professional Development Fund is created by the deposit of “start-
up” funds into an account under the name of a faculty member at the time of initial appointment to
Mines. Additional deposits of start-up funds may be made at the beginnings of subsequent fiscal years,
normally up to and including the third year of appointment. The total amount of start-up funding
committed, and the projected apportionment of deposits in the three fiscal years, is negotiated during the
process of hiring the faculty member.

These funds are established to enable a new faculty member to enhance their academic and intellectual
development and performance by promoting opportunities such as: (a) engaging in research and
curriculum development; (b) acquiring books, data and equipment; (c) publishing the results of his/her
research; (d) supporting undergraduate and graduate students; (e) obtaining professional technical
assistance; and, (f) interacting with the professional/academic community through participation at
professional conferences and workshops.

Start-up funds are budgeted in accordance with the negotiations that have been agreed upon in hiring new
faculty members. The institution treats these funds as investments in the academic potential of new
faculty members, and therefore expects that the funds be expended appropriately and in a manner that
advances the faculty member professionally, and implicitly advances the mission of the institution. The
faculty member’s supervisor provides appropriate oversight of these funds and is responsible for
conducting periodic reviews of their use; capital expenditures require supervisor approval. Department
Heads have the responsibility to monitor expenditure of start-up funds, all faculty will be required to
provide an accounting and/or justification of expenditures each year during the annual FDR/evaluation
process. Certification reports will be distributed to all faculty that have active accounts. Abuse or
substantial unapproved deviation from the intended use of these funds will result in the freezing of the
account and the discontinuance of further start-up deposits.

Start-up funds that are not expended within a time period of two years greater than the number of years of
start-up disbursement negotiated upon hiring for tenured and tenure-track faculty will be reverted back to
the funding source and the account closed. PD accounts will be reviewed and those due to be closed will
be closed at the beginning of each academic year. Extensions to this time period can be reviewed and
approved, if appropriate, by the Provost or his/her designee. Within the first five years, if the tenure clock
has stopped, the clock on the start-up funds will also stop. Start-up funds for teaching faculty do not
expire and PD accounts will remain open.

Any unspent start up funds remaining at the end of a given fiscal year (subject to the terms in the above
paragraph) shall roll into the subsequent fiscal year for expenditure.


Research Development Fund – A Research Development Fund is created by the calculated return of
indirect cost provided to each Principal Investigator pursuant to the Indirect Cost Return policy or, for
example, the roll-over of unexpended funds from fixed price research contracts (after appropriate
overhead has been taken out), or proceeds from transfer of research equipment. These funds are provided
to enhance a faculty member’s research, academic, and intellectual development. The faculty member
must obtain his/her supervisor’s concurrence for expenditures made. Unexpended funds at the end of a
given fiscal year will roll into the subsequent fiscal year. There are no time restrictions on the use of
these funds.

Sponsored Project Funds - Sponsored projects arise from awards from an external sponsor that restricts
the use of funds and stipulates conditions with which the School must comply. The Principal Investigator
is responsible and accountable for ensuring that the direct charges to any given sponsored project are
appropriate, allowable and in accordance with the sponsor terms and any School, State or Federal
regulation. These funds are subject to the overhead rate negotiated between the sponsor and the School.

Gift Funds - Gifts arise when an item of value is given to the School and the donor neither expects nor
receives anything of value in return from the School. The School has no “deliverables” but provides the
donor recognition of the gift and uses the gift in accordance with the donor’s wishes. The faculty member
is responsible and accountable for ensuring that the use of the funds are appropriate and are in accordance
with the restrictions set forth by the donor. A faculty member may not make gifts into a fund for which
he/she has financial management responsibility. These funds are subject to the overhead rate
administered by the CSM Foundation.

Auxiliary Funds – An Auxiliary Fund is created from awards made by an external party for activities
engaged in by the faculty member on behalf of Mines which are not classified as sponsored project or
gift. The services provided must fulfill the School’s public service mission that includes professional and
technical services (including consulting) contributing to economic growth by enabling companies to
expand their business. These activities must comply with the Educational Business Activities Policy.
Typically, these funds are used to provide the direct and indirect costs of performing the service, and are
subject to the auxiliary overhead rate of the School. Unexpended funds at the end of a given fiscal year
will roll into the subsequent fiscal year. There are no time restrictions on the use of these funds.

Responsibilities and Practices:
The funds noted above are not part of a faculty member’s income; no taxes are paid on them. Thus, they
may only be used for approved School and professional purposes; they may not be used to meet the non-
professional, personal goals of the individual or those of family members and friends. They may not be
used to cover permanent residence status or other immigration expenses for the faculty member who
controls the funds (see Academic Procedures Manual Section 4.3 for the procedures on visa and
immigration protocols). In the use of these funds, faculty are responsible for following all applicable
federal, State of Colorado and Mines policies and procedures, procurement and expenditure rules. The
use of these funds is subject to Mines budget, accounting and auditing procedures and reviews.
Equipment purchased using these funds remains the property of the Colorado School of Mines. Special
circumstances related to the ultimate disposition of such property may be considered by CSM.

At no time shall any of the Funds be over-expended. At the end of a given fiscal year, for the fund types
noted above, unexpended funds roll forward for use in the next fiscal year (subject to the time limits noted
above). If any fund goes into deficit, it will be the responsibility of the faculty member along with their
department head (or dean when necessary) to find additional funds to cover these deficits.


The Disposition of Balances Upon Departure:
At the point of a faculty member’s departure from Mines (e.g., completion of a transition appointment;
resignation to secure a position elsewhere), the balance of a Professional Development Fund and
Auxiliary Funds remaining reverts/revert to Academic Affairs which may or may not elect to provide this
balance or a portion thereof to the faculty member’s department/division. Research Development Funds
remaining revert back to the research center within which the funds were generated. If the research that
generated the funds was performed as an independent investigator, the funds revert to faculty member’s
department. Gift funds and sponsored project accounts will remain in the department/division in which
the restriction on the use of funds applies.

Further, upon notification of a pending resignation, the denial of tenure, or upon Mines’ action that places
an individual on administrative leave, the balance(s) of a faculty member’s professional development,
auxiliary and research development fund will normally be frozen and/or activity on the account(s)
monitored, and thereafter may be used only with the approval of the faculty member’s department
head/division director and the Provost or his/her designee.

Last Revision:

August 23, 2016



Governing Policies:

Assistantship Policies -
Graduate Contracts -


Mines is a relatively small, technical university with a reputation for teaching excellence. Consequently, it
is important for Mines to establish policies that will maintain the pedagogical benefits of a small-
university environment, while at the same time promoting prominence in identified research areas. The
staffing of undergraduate and graduate programs is a particularly important aspect of meeting these
sometimes-competing challenges.

It is Mines' policy that regular, full-time faculty should be instructors of record for all undergraduate and
graduate classes. Given variability in student populations and budgetary distributions, the difficulty in
some disciplines of attracting faculty, and finally, the importance of instructional experience for doctoral
students seeking future academic employment, situations may arise where it makes sense to deliver some
of our curriculum by qualified graduate students. This recognition, however, does not obviate the
requirement that regular, full-time faculty have overall responsibility for all classes.

The following guidelines define the terms and conditions under which a graduate student may be
employed to assist in instructional delivery.

Graduate Hourly Appointments:
To allow faculty to manage their time efficiently, undergraduate and graduate students may be hired on an
hourly basis to assist faculty in laboratory setup and grading. Such appointments may be given to
graduate students under the policies and procedures currently in place (
Contracts), including:

1. All full-time graduate students are eligible. Students are selected and appointed on the basis of the
needs of the departments or divisions and the capabilities of the students.

2. The duties of a Graduate Hourly Appointee in a classroom role are strictly limited to setting up
laboratory facilities and grading assignments. Hourly Appointees may not have direct, day-to-day
contact with students. They may not deliver lectures, supervise laboratory exercises, or be given any
instructional duties or responsibilities.

3. Departments and divisions may make the appointments at any time using the standard Graduate
Hourly contract forms and processes

Graduate Teaching Assistants:
To allow faculty to manage their time efficiently, and to provide graduate students experience in a
teaching role, it is appropriate for the institution to support the notion of Graduate Teaching Assistants.
Such appointments may be given to graduate students under the policies and procedures currently in place
(, including:

1. All full-time graduate students are eligible. Students are selected and appointed on the basis of the
needs of the departments or divisions and the capabilities of the students.
2. The duties of a Teaching Assistant are limited to setting up laboratory facilities, providing assistance
to students with problem sets and laboratory exercises, supervising laboratory and recitation sections,


grading homework and exams, and other duties as appropriate but under the direct supervision of
faculty in charge of the course. Teaching Assistants may not have primary responsibility for
delivering lectures, lead in the preparation of laboratory exercises or be given broad teaching duties or
3. Departments or divisions may make the appointments at any time using the standard Graduate
Assistant contract forms and processes.

Graduate Teaching Fellows:
Neither Graduate Hourly Appointees nor Graduate Teaching Assistants are instructors of record for any
courses in which they are involved. It may, however, be appropriate for a doctoral student to be an
instructor of record in a course. Teaching Fellowship Appointments acknowledge a student as being an
instructor of record. Materials for contracting students as Teaching Fellows are available by contacting
the Dean of Graduate Studies. The Dean of Graduate Studies has authority to approve Teaching Fellows
on a case-by-case basis.

To be approved as a Teaching Fellow, the Department Head should submit to the Dean of Graduate
Studies documentation that certifies the following conditions have been, or will be met:

1. The appointee must be a PhD student in good standing who has completed the basic course work and
minimum number of credit hours required for the degree and have an approved Admission to
Candidacy form on file in the Graduate Office.
2. The appointee must have the demonstrated expertise to teach the given course.
3. The appointee must have had some teaching experience or have completed, or be concurrently
enrolled in, SYGN600, Fundamentals of College Teaching.
4. A full-time permanent faculty member must be assigned as mentor and agree to:

Review and approve syllabi, homework assignments, laboratory instructions and exams.

Observe selected classes and provide feedback.

Monitor grading practices and assignment of grades.
5. The course mentor should not be the student’s academic advisor and further must certify that it will
not cause a conflict of interest when they give the graduate student grades in their own courses or
vote on the student’s performance on the comprehensive exam or thesis defense as part of a thesis
6. At the end of the semester, the faculty mentor must submit a written analysis of the appointee’s
performance to the department head or division director. The analysis should be based on factors that
include the student teaching evaluations, the mentor’s personal observations in class, and the written
material prepared and distributed by the instructor.

Last Revision:

June 2, 2014




Undergraduate students (i.e., those that are fully admitted into a undergraduate degree program at CSM)
are eligible for employment to assist in office, teaching or research environments. To receive and
maintain an undergraduate employment appointment, candidates must meet the following criteria:

1. Appointees must be making satisfactory progress toward degree completion as defined in the
Undergraduate Bulletin and have an overall GPA of no less than 2.0.
2. During the regular academic year, appointees must be enrolled.
3. During the summer term, appointees do not need to be enrolled.
4. Appointees must meet all eligibility requirements for employment in the United States and the
State of Colorado.
Students may concurrently hold multiple employment appointments across campus. However, as student
employees are expected to continue to devote an appropriate amount of time and energy to completing
their degree requirements and additionally their work assignments, Academic Affairs limits the total
hourly time commitment from all on-campus employment sources, including formal work study, to no
more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. During the summer terms, students who are not
enrolled in course work may be employed with hourly commitments of up to 40 hours per week.

The Implementation Agreement form for hiring undergraduate students is available at:

Once completed these agreement forms should be emailed to

Last Revision:

August 26, 2014



Governing Policies:

Section 6.1.5, Faculty Handbook – Summer Services


Early in the Spring semester, the Office of Academic Affairs will forward to the College Deans a request
for offering courses, both regular and field, during the Summer I and Summer II sessions. The Deans will
work with Department Heads to determine summer course needs and opportunities and return a list of
proposed summer offerings back to the Dean’s Office by mid-March. Exact distribution and return dates
are published in the Academic Affairs Annual Calendar of Deadlines as described in Section 2.1 of this
Procedures Manual. The Dean will review these requests and approve based on the conditions defined

Regardless of term of offering (i.e., Summer I or Summer II), regular classroom offerings are treated
differently – both in terms of requirements for approval and in terms of faculty compensation – than
programs understood to be part of the institution’s field requirement.

Regular Classroom Offerings:
Regular classroom offerings will usually only be approved by the Dean if enrollment in the course is
sufficient to cover the cost (i.e., both direct and indirect) of delivering the course. The appropriate College
Office will provisionally approve a summer course offering based on enrollment estimates and early
registration information. As the start of each Summer term nears, however, the appropriate College Office
will continue to monitor enrollment and may cancel courses that were provisionally approved based on
low student enrollment.

Faculty salary for summer courses is computed based on a faculty member’s academic year salary and the
number of credit hours the faculty member teaches. Assuming a full-time teaching load for a faculty
member engaged in nothing but teaching during the academic year is 8 (4+4) 3-credit hour courses, a
faculty receives as compensation 4.1667% of his/her AY salary for every credit hour delivered. During
the summer, maintaining this expectation, a faculty member’s summer pay can be computed as:

Faculty_Salary = Faculty_AY_Salary * Credit_Hours * 0.041667

A faculty member’s daily rate of pay during the summer may be computed from a faculty member’s daily
rate of pay during the academic year (Faculty_AY_Salary / 185 days) as:

Faculty_Salary_Daily = Faculty_AY_Salary_Daily * Credit_Hours * 0.25691 (Summer I)

Faculty_Salary_Daily = Faculty_AY_Salary_Daily * Credit_Hours * 0.1927 (Summer II)

where Summer I is 30 days long, and Summer II is 40 days long. As the summer terms are compressed,
however, faculty compensation calculated on a daily basis may not exceed a faculty member’s AY daily
rate; unless approved as an overload. During Summer I, the summer daily rate exceeds the AY daily rate

1 Each credit hour represents 16 contact hours. Based on 8, 3-credit hour courses during the AY, a full-
time load during the AY represents 2.0757 contact hours per day (16 * 24 / 185). Thus, during a
compressed Summer I term, 16 contact hours in 30 days represents 0.5333 contact hours per day, or
0.5333 / 2.0757 = 0.2569 of a total full-time contact hour load per day. Similarly, for Summer II, 16
contact hours in 40 days represents 0.4 contact hours per day, or 0.4 / 2.0757 = 0.1927 of a total full-time
contact hour load per day.


at credit hour delivery above 3.5 total credit hours. During Summer II, the summer daily rate exceeds the
AY daily rate at credit hour deliver above 5 credit hours.

Below credit hour commitments of 4 and 6 credit hours respectively, faculty may also engage in other
funded activities (e.g., sponsored research). The number of days available during the Summer for any
other sponsored activity when the faculty member is teaching part-time in Summer I or Summer II is
calculated using the formulas below:

Days_Available = 30 – Credit_Hours * 7.7083 (Summer I)
Days_Available = 40 – Credit_Hours * 7.7083 (Summer II)

Field Offerings:
Unlike the classroom offerings defined above, field offerings are required components of a program’s
curriculum that cannot be delivered at any other time during the academic year. As such, support for these
offerings is formally budgeted and the Office of Academic Affairs does not use the formal criterion
defined above to determine whether or not a field course is running fiscally in the black. The Dean will,
however, work with the Department Heads to review and evaluate Field program budgets to ensure these
offerings are run as efficiently as is academically possible.

Faculty salary derived from a field program offering is computed using the following formula:

Faculty_Salary = 1 / 185 * AY_Salary * Days_in_the_Field * Percent_Effort

Last Revision:

February 28, 2017



Governing Policies:

Section 5.4, Faculty Handbook – Leave Benefits
Section 8.1.1, Faculty Handbook – Request for Extension of Probationary Contract Period


Various types of leaves of absence are defined in Section 5.4 of the Faculty Handbook (Unpaid Leave,
Sick Leave, Family Medical Leave, Parental Leave, etc.). With the exception of short-term leaves such as
Annual Leave, Sick Leave, and Holiday Leave, approval for a leave of absence must be obtained prior to
taking the leave. The intent and requirements for each type of leave are defined in the Faculty Handbook.

As defined in section 5.4.2 of the Faculty Handbook, requests for unpaid leaves of absence should be
submitted in writing to a faculty member’s immediate supervisor. Unpaid leave is granted at the
discretion of the Dean, or in the absence of the Dean, the appropriate Vice President.

The general approval process for paid leaves of absence is as given below:

1. As soon as possible, the faculty member should provide her/his immediate supervisor informal
notification of the need to take leave. As part of this interaction, the immediate supervisor should
refer the faculty member to the Office of Human Resources to discuss leave options as defined in
the Faculty Handbook.

2. The faculty member is responsible for contacting the Office of Human resources to schedule an
appointment to discuss leave rights, benefits and options given their situation and needs.

3. At the conclusion of these discussions, the Office of Human Resources will follow up with the
faculty member’s immediate supervisor regarding any leave for which the faculty member is
eligible as well as any approval granted for FML.

4. The faculty member should then provide formal, written notification to his/her immediate
supervisor and the Office of Human Resources to exercise any leave benefits.

5. As defined in the Faculty Handbook, when a leave of absence extends partially through an
academic semester, a faculty member may request teaching relief for that semester. Department
Heads are authorized to provide this relief, and in addition to work with the faculty member to
craft a plan that defines non-teaching expectations for the remainder of the semester. It is
presumed that these expectations will in total constitute an anticipated workload that is
appropriate given the nature (i.e., full-time or part-time) of the faculty member’s appointment. It
is inappropriate to shift workload expectations that a faculty member missed while on leave to
another semester (e.g., to increase the expected teaching load in the immediately subsequent

6. The Department should verify that leave has been accurately recorded in any applicable leave
reporting system. Questions regarding leave coding should be referred to the Human Resources

Under no circumstances are Department Heads authorized to approve or deny any form of long-term
leave including but not limited to extended Sick Leave, Medical Disability Leave and Parental Leave,


without direct involvement of the Office of Human Resources. Further, Department Heads are not
authorized to reduce workload expectations in lieu of formally approved, long-term leave.

For tenure-track faculty, extended leave may be used as justification for a request to extend the
probationary contract period. Faculty in this situation should consult the Handbook, section 8.1.1,
regarding the requirements of, and the process for requesting a probationary contract extension.

Last Revision:

October 27, 2015



Governing Policies:

Section 4.1.4, Faculty Handbook – Transitional Faculty Appointments
Section 4.1.5, Faculty Handbook – Emeritus Faculty Appointments


Faculty retirees on transitional appointments and fully retired emeritus faculty will be provided with
office space to the extent possible according to the following guidelines. Space assignments and
reassignments for faculty are at the discretion of the department head/division director and are made with
broad consideration of optimization of facilities use within that unit’s allocated space. Faculty on
transitional contracts will be provided with office space, however, they may be asked to relocate to a
different room, and/or to share their office with another member of the department. Fully retired emeritus
faculty may be provided with office and/or lab space, if the DH/DD has space available, including within
a suite shared by several individuals. At any time, reallocation of space within the unit may result in fully
retired faculty being asked to vacate their offices and/or lab space.

Last Revision:

October 5, 2011



Governing Policies:

Section 10.2, Faculty Handbook – Sabbatical Leave Policy


Once per year, Academic Affairs will solicit sabbatical requests from faculty and department heads.
Sabbatical requests are evaluated by the Board of Trustees on the basis of their merit, supported by the
completeness of the required supporting documentation.

The request should be clearly articulated and submitted as a formal proposal from the faculty member and
accompanied by a letter of support from her/his Department Head. The faculty member’s request should
contain the following:

1. Faculty member’s name, department/division, area(s) of expertise, length of service at
CSM (start date), date of last sabbatical (if any), length of sabbatical requested.
2. A clear and complete description of the activities to be pursued should a sabbatical be
3. A discussion of how the sabbatical will be of benefit to 1) the faculty member, 2) to the
department/division and CSM more generally as appropriate, and 3) CSM students.
4. The hardship imposed on the faculty member’s colleagues or department/division
should the sabbatical be granted, along with a detailed explanation of how the hardship
will be ameliorated, and
5. A completed Sabbatical Request Summary.

The Sabbatical Request Summary is available online at:

Please note that the Board of Trustees (BOT) has developed this form and mandates that it accompany all
sabbatical requests. The form should be filled out completely (i.e., it should not contain one line answers
that simply refer to the faculty member’s or Department Head’s memoranda) and it must be kept to one
page. In addition, please submit the form in Word format (not PDF).

The letter of support from the Department Head should clarify and add perspective to the requested
sabbatical(s). Additionally, if more than one sabbatical is being recommended in the same department, the
Department Head’s letter of support should detail the number of requests for sabbaticals currently
outstanding in the department/division, the areas of expertise involved, and how the department/division
will handle multiple faculty absences over upcoming year.

All three documents must be submitted electronically to Academic Affairs by the date published as part
of the Academic Affairs calendar.

Finally, the Faculty Handbook requires that a sabbatical report be filed in a timely manner after the
conclusion of the sabbatical. At the BOT’s request, faculty may be invited to make a presentation to the
Board about their sabbatical.


Last Revision:

May 29, 2014



Business cards should only be used if the holder of the cards has a current appointment. Business cards
should indicate the rank of the appointment for both tenure-tenure-track and non tenure-line faculty, as
described in the appointment or contract letter, and adhering strictly to the ranks described in Section 4 of
the Faculty Handbook. Faculty holding a PE license wishing to include this certification as part of their
business card must also include an indication as to the state from which the license was granted.

Institutional requirements of, and the procedure for purchasing business cards are defined on the Public
Relations website (

Business cards for graduate students should only be used if the student is registered in a graduate program
at CSM. Business cards must indicate that the holder is a graduate student and must identify the degree
program and department of residence. The Graduate Student Government Association facilitates the
purchase of business cards for graduate students.

Last Revision:

May 29, 2014


Amendment 41 (also known as Article XXIX of the Colorado Constitution) was passed by Colorado
voters in 2006 and bans legislators, government employees and their immediate family from
accepting gifts worth more than $50. Colorado’s Independent Ethics Commission (IEC) issued a
position statement to clear up confusion over the gift ban provisions of Amendment 41.

In its position statement, the IEC found the following items permissible, notwithstanding the gift
ban, on the basis that there is "lawful consideration of equal or greater value" exchanged:
Scholarships granted to public employees’ and officials’ spouses or dependent children
Insurance proceeds
Honoraria provided to public employees and officials for speaking before “business or civic
groups” and writing publications, provided that:
o Delivering the speech or writing the publication is not part of the public
official/employee’s official duties;
o Public resources are not used in the preparation of the speech or publication
(including computers, telephones, staff, etc.);
o Government time is not used for the preparation or delivery of the speech or
o The amount of the honorarium is reasonably related to the services the
employee/official is being asked to perform; and
o Neither the sponsor of the speech nor the source of the honorarium is a person or
entity with whom the public employee/official has had, or reasonably expects to
have, dealings in his or her official capacity
The IEC also found the following permissible on the basis that accepting such items “is not a breach
of public trust” because they are offers or benefits given to the general public or a class of people
under circumstances where others receive the same opportunity, and public employees/officials
should not be penalized because they hold government positions:
Prizes (including scholarly recognitions such as the Nobel Prize)
• Items won in raffles, lotteries and silent auctions
Finally, the IEC found the following permissible on the basis that gifts made in the context of family
or personal relationships are “not a violation of the public trust” because it is the close personal
relationship between the parties that is the controlling factor in such situations, not the potential to
influence official action:
Gifts or other things of value given by relatives or personal friends, provided that:
o It can be shown that it is a family or personal relationship rather than the
governmental position that is the controlling factor; and
o The public employee/official’s receipt of the gift would not result in or create the
appearance of: using his or her office for personal benefit; giving preferential
treatment to any person or entity; losing independence or impartiality; or accepting
gifts or favors for performing official duties.


If you have specific concerns or questions regarding the gift ban, please bring them to the attention of
counsel in the Legal Services Office so that they may assist in resolving those.

Last Revision:

May 29, 2014