OUTSIDE THE VAN
INSIDE THE VAN
1. Approach the van and look underneath for
8. Sit in the Operator’s seat to check
Windshield wipers and washer
Backup alarm, if your van has one
2. Check the suspension
All indicator lights and gauges
Is the van leaning to one side?
9. Make sure the Operator’s seat is not loose
3. Check for obvious damage to
and is properly adjusted for you
Can you reach floor pedals, steering wheel
Exterior light lens
and al other controls comfortably without
4. Get in the van and turn on exterior lights.
Are you so close that your movement is
Are all exterior lights working properly?
Front Rear Left side Right side
10. Inspect the front seat areas
5. Inspect the engine compartment. The engine
Are they clear of loose items and debris?
should be off with the keys in your pocket.
Keep the front seat area, dash, and floor
clear of clipboards, papers, trash, etc.
Check all fluid levels
Radiator (when engine is cool)
11. Check all mirrors
Windshield wiper fluid
Are they clean? Can you see clearly?
Adjust each mirror to reduce blind spots as
Inspect al hoses and cable connections
much as possible
for excess wear
Check fan belts for proper tension
12. Check the passenger area
Are fan belts frayed or cracked?
Is the interior lighting operational?
Are the seats secure and in good condition?
6. Use a gauge to check the tires for
Are the seats and floor clean?
Are safety restraints out and accessible to
Are the hubcaps secure?
13. Before driving the van
7. When you’re finished inspecting outside the van
Adjust the steering wheel so the airbag is
Turn off the exterior lights
directed to your chest, not your face
Put on your safety restraint
Lock the doors
Make sure all passengers are buckled up
14. Never drive under the influence of
Il egal drugs
prescribed or OTC medication that impair your
ability to drive safely
15. Remember – you represent the Colorado School
of Mines when you’re driving a CSM vehicle
Observe al traffic rules and regulations
Drive carefully, safely, and courteously
16. List all passengers on the
back of this checklist.
Keep this checklist in the glove compartment of the van for the duration of your trip.