Computing Guide for New International Students at Mines

Here are the basic facts you need to know about computing resources at Mines, provided by the Computing, Communications, and Information Technology (CCIT) department:

General Mines links

What computer accounts will I need at Mines?

The process for activating computer accounts at Mines changed in March 2015. Now, when you are accepted to Mines you are sent information allowing you to activate one primary Mines login, called a "MultiPass," at Pick your username and create your account. That one account will give you access to these resources (and more):

  • Most Windows lab computers on campus, including those in the Computer Commons (CT156) and Arthur Lakes Library.
  • Most Linux lab computers on campus.
  • Trailhead – the campus “portal” where you can see your grades, track payments to you, and download tax (and other) forms, among many other uses. It is found at
  • MyMail – your official Mines email account. This will be your official email address for receiving messages from the university. Check it often – or forward messages from it to an account you check often – at We suggest that you access this account through the web interface.
  • Visit for instructions on creating and managing your Mines MultiPass account.
  • Visit for more information about campus computing resources in general.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What services are provided by the Computing, Communications, and Information Technologies (CCIT) department at Mines?

Answer: See an A-to-Z list of all of our many services here:

Q: Is there any free software available to me at Mines?

A: Well, the school paid for it, but it's free to you:

  • If an antivirus program is not already installed on your personal PC or Mac, please download and install Symantec Endpoint antivirus software using your MultiPass credentials, here:
  • If you are taking classes in a participating department, almost all Microsoft software except Office is available for free download via the Microsoft Imagine Premium program. See more details of the Microsoft Imagine Premium program here: Microsoft Imagine Premium uses a different login system -- not MultiPass. (Note: Select Microsoft Office titles are be available to faculty and staff through other means. In addition, the LibreOffice Suite is a free and open-source competitor of MS Office and runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux:
  • If you have a smartphone you can access a variety of Mines online information through special Mines Mobile apps. See more details here:

Q: My laptop can't access the campus network; what's going on?

A: The campus wireless networks are not password protected. But to use them you must first register your computer with the network, so that we know you are an authorized user. On your laptop computer, tablet, or phone select the CSMwireless network from the available wireless networks. Then, open a web browser. You should be redirected to a registration page. Complete and submit that page, wait 10 minutes, and reboot your computer. It should find the school wireless network without further problems. Access to the school wired network is gained in similar fashion. On a desktop PC or Mac, when asked to register on the network, please do so, wait 10 minutes, and reboot your computer.

Q: I need help with my own computer. Is there someone I can talk with in person to troubleshoot the problem?

A: Yes! Walk in support for quick and basic computer problems is available in our new Technology Support Center, part of the CCIT Computer Commons in the Center for Technology and Learning Media building (CT 156). Student consultants are available whenever the Computer Commons is open for business. Professional IT staff members are present 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays. Bring in your computer and we'll explore possible solutions with you.

Q: I've got a question not answered here; where can I get more help?

A: Here are the best ways to find help with computing issues at Mines:

  • Check the Mines FAQfinder database of frequently asked computer questions:
  • Visit the Computer Commons front desk in the Center for Technology and Learning Media (CT156a). Our consultants can help you with a number of common computing problems.
  • Call the Technology Support Center (TSC) in the Computer Commons at 303.384.2345 to schedule an appointment or ask computing questions.
  • Submit a support request to the Mines Help Center (also known as the "Helpdesk") at: A support person will contact you to resolve the issue.

From all of us in the university computing community, welcome to Mines!

--Computing, Communications, and Information Technologies (CCIT)


© 2017 Colorado School of Mines | | Equal Opportunity | Privacy Policy | Directories | Text Only | | rss

Last Updated: 06/06/2017 10:17:46